How to find us
While the Faculty’s building is being refurbished, we moved to Tyniecka 15/17, 2nd floor, rooms 219-220.
History of Egyptology at the University of Warsaw
Antoni Śmieszek receives the chair of the Egyptological Seminar founded at the Oriental Institute of the University of Warsaw. 1937 – 1939 Antoni Śmieszek is the head of the Oriental Institute.
Prof. Ananiasz Zajączkowski becomes curator of the Egyptological Seminar. Egyptian is taught by prof. Kazimierz Michałowski
Department of Ancient Near Eastern Philology is established; the Egyptological Seminar becomes a part thereof. 1951-1961 – Tadeusz Andrzejewski lectures at the Seminar
The Egyptological Seminar becomes the Department of Egyptology (its succeeding curators are: K. Michałowski, R. Ranoszek, S. Strelcyn, J. Chmielewski and J. Bielawski). Prof. Albertyna Szczudłowska-Dembska, dr Elżbieta Dąbrowska-Smektała and dr Irena Himner (Pomorska) belong to the staff of the Department.
Due to a restructuring that took place at the University, the Department of Egyptology loses its independent status.
A new Department of Egyptology is established; among its members are prof. Krzysztof Winnicki (head of the Department in years 1996-2000), dr Katarzyna Urbaniak-Walczak, Ph.D. student Dariusz Niedziółka, librarian Iwona Bebrysz.
Department of Egyptology becomes part of the Department of Assyriology and Hittitology.
The Oriental Institute becomes the Faculty of Oriental Studies.
Department of Assyriology and Hittitology becomes the Department of Ancient Near East.
The Section of Egyptology becomes again Department of Egyptology